Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Put a face to that e-mail Thursday, December 11, 2008

Sorry if my blogs are complaining a lot lately. I'm in a complaining mood I guess… I have a lot on my mind. Here's an interesting story.

I get e-mails at work from important people all the time. I know names, titles, and other variant positions of authority. So I have a general idea of who is who in my company… But I often don't have a visual of what these people look like.

I know I've seen them all in passing. In the hall, or with a big important looking group of people. I have NEVER been introduced to any of these people- E V E R. I have never overheard a conversation where someone happened upon their name - I think you catch my drift. If it wasn't for the suites they'd look like another regular worker bee.

So Anyway- this guy sits with me (and everyone in my group) and we have to chat about some of our accounts and stuff. When he leaves he instructs me to shoot him an e-mail after I follow up with them to see what the dilly-o is with these accounts that aren't buying.

I'm thinking crap- he didn't introduce himself to me. I have NO CLUE who he was- except that he's some important guy. My super has been so testy lately- snapping at me for every little tiny minute thing…

Dare I ask who he is? I just know that she's going to get mad…If I don't ask and guess who to send the e-mail to and send it to the wrong person what kind of consequences can that ensue? So…

I ask.

The response I get from her and those around me is as follows:
"What? You don't know who that is? I should punch you in the face!"

"Punch me in the face?"

I also get responses such as: I have been there for 2 years I should know who certain people are. It isn't important to the world, but it is important to my job to know certain people. There is something wrong with me because I don't remember that kind of stuff. And I SHOULD know who that is. I don't pay attention to my surroundings. I'm not observant to what is going on around me. I don't ever know what's going on. My poor memory comes up over and over and over and over and over and over… I need to do better. Blah, blah, blah, blah…. Basically it was an all out attack on me. Or I felt like it was an attack.

I wanted to cry.

I wanted to walk out.

I did neither. My phone rang so I answered it.

I sent her an e-mail (I really wanted to just give her a piece of my mind and trash her and scream… but I never do what I want to do when I'm angry):

I'm sorry.
That I just don't have that good of a memory with faces/ names and things. I don't think you noticed, but when he was giving me my accounts I was rattling off information about them before I even pulled the account numbers up… but I DO remember stuff.
My mind just doesn't work like yours. I don't retain information the same way as you do and you shouldn't expect me to be able to memorize things the same way you do. You may be able to know someone who walks by you 4 times in a year- but I won't. I can tell you other things- that you probably don't know… but that is what makes us different.
I have never been a name/face person. I probably never will. I'm sorry that I stress you out so much because of it. If there is a suggestion that will help BOTH of us with this issue…?? I will be more than happy to do it. I just learn differently than you do. I'm not you and there isn't anything I can do about it
______________________________

I tell her what would she rather me do? Not ask her who this was and to send an e-mail to the wrong person? Or should I suck it up and ask and make sure I am sending my correspondences to the correct people? I say maybe I shouldn't ask anymore who is who and just take a guess and go from there, because this was so not worth it.

She says that isn't the point. I am not up to speed.

Turns out that big wig guy- was the owners son. You know- I wouldn't even know who the owner of that company was if it weren't for his "meetings" where you can hear him screaming down the hall on the other end of the building.

Later- after the fact- I get an e-mail that says:

We can talk about this if you want to – and we can do it behind closed doors.
I should not speak so that people around can hear.
I feel like you are being picked on – and that was absolutely not my intention.
How can I help you? There are people and things that are probably important that you and everyone for that matter should know.
I want to get you up to speed but I do not know how to do that when you don't pay attention to things around you.
I am not here to make you feel like shit – but things need to change.
Help me help you!!!!

It is not her intention to make me feel like shit??? OH really??

Todays life lesson: I'm still there taking the crap. I obviously didn't learn anything. I wish I
had a way out. :(

Comments:

My suggestion would be to make a meeting with her to talk behind closed doors. Then tell her if you can fail to notice who is who in the company then there is an obvious problem with the dynamics of the company.. and it goes much further up than just you and her. If there are people there that an employee of 2 years doesn't have a clue about then I am sure there are others in the same boat. Maybe they should offer an easy solution... a memo for all new employees with names and pictures of all the "important"people, or even better, all employees. Help her, help you??... Introductions are a wonderful thing!
Posted by Jen on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 5:25 PM

I agree with Jen's post!
Posted by Missy on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 10:10 PM

*sigh* if only it were that easy.
Posted by Kiara on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 10:11 PM

Drop kick the bitch!! I can get you a poopy diaper to fling at her if you wish. :) I haven't teepeed anyone for awhile. I'm game if you are. :D We can help the dumb cunt help herself.Please excuse the francais. :)
Posted by Julie on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 1:16 PM

Aryan, just talk to her behind closed doors. Explain your situation. If that gets you know where, talk to her boss. Jobs can suck big time, but if you want to fix the situation, start at the bottom of the totem poll and work up it until you have the answer you need. Hierarchy systems are their for a reason. If the person at the bottom can't fix the situation, then her boss needs to help. And if her boss can't, then the next boss. You are a smart woman and will have this solved. Just be polite when you talk to her. Hugs
Posted by Amanda on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 1:19 PM

No comments: